HOME   |   ABOUT US   |   MEMBER LOGIN   |   OFFICERS   |   STANLEY SEARCH   

NEWS  


BOOKS IN PRINT  

PHOTOS-2015 REUNION  

PHOTOS-2016 REUNION  

NEWSLETTERS  

STANLEY ALLEE  

JOIN/RENEW  

CONTACT US  
National Stanley Family Association 27th Reunion
The Gathering Of Stanleys
June 17 & 18, 2016
Held at Bear Creek Meeting House
GPS Coordinates: 41.535560, -94.126044
18058 Bear Creek Rd
Earlham, IA 50072
(515) 758-2232

 

TOUR INFORMATION

Group Tour #1 - Friday, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Madison County Historical Museum Complex
, Winterset, IA

Madison County Historical MuseumSituated on 18.5 rolling acres on Winterset’s south side, the Madison County Historical Complex features an 1856 stone barn, blacksmith shop, 1871 Winterset train depot, Zion Church, Tusha School, mercantile store, and post office.  The museum houses thousands of historical artifacts such as furniture, equipment, and clothing, and features a stunning display of military uniforms belonging to Madison County war veterans.

The Bevington-Kaser House is a restored 1856 brick Victorian mansion, which sits prominently next to the complex.  The house consists of nine rooms, with all-brick construction on a limestone foundation.  It has been restored and furnished in Victorian richness and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Group Tour #2 - Saturday 9:30 am - 12:00 noon
Madison County Covered Bridges
, Winterset, IA
Roseman BridgeAs the Midwest was settled, farmers needed a way to get their products to market, which generally meant pulling horse drawn wagons to the nearest railroad station.   To respond to this need, counties began to improve rural roads and install bridges.   These bridges were most often built using timber.   It was quickly realized that timber bridges would rapidly deteriorate if they were left exposed to the elements, and it would be much cheaper to cover the bridges rather than repair damaged timbers.   Madison County, Iowa, located southwest of Des Moines, once had 19 covered bridges.  Click here to see locations of existing bridges.

Group Tour #3 - Saturday 3:30 - 5:30 pm
The Hockett House & Old School House Museums & the Earlham cemetery(s)
, Earlham, IA
Hockett HouseHockett House Museum - Earlham's history is lovingly preserved in the original 1860's home of founder, David and Mary Hockett. Built in the 1860's, The Hockett House is a typical small settler home.   Over time a dining room, kitchen and two small bedrooms were added and the first room became a parlor.   Early settler furniture has been donated from area residents.   The daybed came from Earlham's first furniture store, owned by Joshua Thorton in the 1870's. The surronding flowerbeds are representative of late 19th century Iowa gardens.   Hockett family members have lived in the house for much of its history.   It was updated in the 1940's by David Hockett's granddaughter, Gertrude Hockett Walton.   Located at 166 NE Sycamor Ave, Earlham, IA.
The Hockett Family - David Hockett (1830-1903) brought his wife, Mary Jane, and three children to the Earlham area from eastern Iowa by ox team and wagon in 1865.   They settled on 200 acres where Earlham stands today.   By deeding a land string to the C.R.I. & P. railroad and selling a third of his acres for town development, Hockett was instrumental in the founding of Earlham in 1870.

Old School HouseThe Old School House Museum - The old stone school house was the first public school building constructed in Earlham (circa 1872).   It was built of native limestone with a later brick addition.  Located at 135 NE Sycamore Ave, Earlham, IA
 
On Your Own Tour #4 - John Wayne Birthplace & Museum - Saturday 10:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                 to 12:00 noon.
John Wayne MuseumThe life story of John Wayne began in the small central Iowa town of Winterset.  He was born Marion Robert Morrison on May 26, 1907, the son of Clyde and Mary Brown Morrison.  His father, Clyde, was a pharmacist who worked on the south side of Winterset’s historic town square.  In his youth, Clyde attended nearby Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.  John Wayne described his father as “The kindest, most patient man I ever knew.”  Wayne’s mother Mary was of Irish descent, and Duke said, “She was a tiny, vivacious red-headed bundle of energy.” Their modest four-room home has been restored to reflect its appearance in 1907, the year of the actor’s birth.